The Forestry Commission

The Forestry Commission

Thursday 28 April 2011

Whinlatter Forest

Whinlatter Forest

Saturday 22nd April
The North and South loop is 19 kilometres.

The weather wasn't as cracking as the last few days in the Lakes, cool and misty.
As we set off I was nervous today. We followed a family with two young boys not much older than Elleanor and they attacked each dip, turn and jump with such fearless ability it was difficult not to feel intimidated. Phil had a puncture about ten metres in and I was watching some very novice riders pass I contemplated that each red route I had attempted had included a fall. I then tried to feel a bit more positive about the route and came up with a plan of action: steady and enjoy. 

I kind of achieved my main aim. I found some of the initial climbs difficult the slate was slippy and I don't like heights!

There were some very tricky and slippy rock bits towards the top which I decided to avoid cycling over.
But I stayed on at the berms. Whoohoooo!






I managed a couple of little jumps but walked down a huge rock drop. But as I proudly said as I approached Phil, 'The bike is still between my legs, therefore this does not class as walking!'. Unbeknown to me two very young, sprightly riders were sat next to Phil hidden from view by a bush giggling at me. It was very difficult to concentrate on the twisty turns come down from the top of the North Loop with such stunning views.



We had a hot chocolate and cake back at the cafe, before attempting the South Loop.


The views on the North and South loop included some of Derwent water, Bassenthwaite, Helvellyn and Skiddaw as the trail took us to an altitude of 500m (1600ft) above Keswick.

Shame about the clouds and mist.










No comments:

Post a Comment